Tuesday, August 11, 2009

In the beginning.....

Just a little information to let everyone know where we started and where we are now. Peyton is now 14 months old. He was diagnosed with Auditory Neuropathy on June 22, 2009. I had suspected something was not quite right for a very long time and could get no one to listen to me, except the nurse at my pediatrician's office. Finally at 8 months of age, I was sent to a local ENT. This ENT told me that there was nothing wrong with my child because he passed OAE's, although there was only one non-repeated response at 20 db in the sound booth. This ENT told me to come back in 4 months if I still had concerns.

At 12 months of age, I was asked to be referred to a pediatric ENT. Peyton had the same test results but now an ABR was ordered. It was a "no response" ABR that finally got us the diagnosis we were looking for. Peyton is now seeing Dr. Wendell Todd in Atlanta which is an AWESOME Pediatric ENT. We have also chose the Auditory-Verbal approach. We have just began Auditory-Verbal Therapy at the Auditory-Verbal Center in Atlanta once a week. Peyton is currently making a lot of vowel sounds but very few consonant sounds. We are currently working on sound detection and discrimination and he seems to be making some progress.

Peyton has no known cause of his AN as of now! We do know that Peyton had an auditory nerve but we were told that there is "no instruction manual" for Peyton. But thanks to wonderful friends (We love you Linda, Tiffany, and Debbie), we believe we are on the right track at this time. We are currently using no amplification and are seeing if we have any progress with therapy before trying hearing aids.

Today is Tuesday so we will be traveling to Atlanta this afternoon for AV therapy. I am looking forward to blogging Peyton's progress and hope that I will be of some help to someone like those mentioned above have been to us!

2 comments:

  1. :) You're doing a great job! We love yall! Give that little stinker sugars from us.

    ReplyDelete