Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Weekend.......WHERE ARE YOU?

Ok...am I wishing my life away. I am SO ready for the weekend already. Work has been good this week, but I think I am just still exhausted from the lock-in this past weekend. Anyway, Monday was a not so good day for home therapy. Peyton did work on his sounds for Daddy for a little while on Monday, but by the time I got home and sat down with him he would have NO part of it. That is so frustrating!!! He did work for a little while though and I guess that's better than nothing. I loves playing with his bus so we really worked on the bu,bu,bu sound.

Well yesterday was therapy. I was extremely nervous all day because we were going to get the results of his baseline evaluation. Even though I know Peyton is behind, it is still hard to hear. Before I tell you the results, let me just sing Ms. Candace's praises. Ms. Candance is our AVT therapist and it like family now (She should be! We spend more time with her now than we do our family!). She is ABSOLUTELY amazing! Robby and I know without a doubt that God placed her in our lives because she is exactly what we need, not to mention exactly what Peyton needs. I know personally how hard it is to go over test results with parents, especially when there is a delay. She did a wonderful job, without "sugar coating" anything! Thank you for all that you do Candace!! OK...now on to the test results! My baby is one smart cookie!! He scored high is the areas of Physical, Adaptive Behavior, and Social-Emotional Development. He scores were in the low average range for Cognitive Development and below average in the area of Communication. The Cognitive and Communication was not a surprise to us. Spoken language effects both of those areas tremendously! So basically, this evaluation told us that there isn't a global deficit. Peyton is just behind because of his hearing impairment!! Talking about relieved. I thought my baby was smart but to hear it from a professional is a whole different story!! Candance did break down his communication deficit and basically Peyton is about 10 months behind in both receptive and expressive language. This is definately a gap that we want to close! So right now we are going to continue therapy and revisit the language scales in about 3 months. At this point, if we don't see a lot of progress and by "a lot" we mean more than 3 months progress (because our goal is to close the gap) then at that time we will start the process of evaluating him for hearing aids (which is the next step in this process)! Although that is something that both Robby and I wish that Peyton did not have to go through, we want what is best for him and trust Candace and Dr. Todd totally! We are very appreciative of all the prayers and just ask that everyone keep them coming!!

Because of the evaluation results we didn't get to do a lot of therapy, but we did get 3 new Learning to Listen sounds: cow (mooo), truck (nu nu nu nu), and bird (whistle). We are also working on the function word "push". So the work continues!

Today is Wednesday so we won't get to see a whole lot of Daddy because he gets home after we are already in bed. He also just called and said that Peyton is running a fever. It's low grade so I think it's probably just teeth. That means he will probably not be in the best of spirits today. It's a good thing he is with Gran Gran and stay at home. Happy Hump Day everyone!!

1 comment: